Monday, March 2, 2015

March 2, 2015


So this past week has been crazy and a rush. Lots has happened here in the mission and I am learning so much every day!!

This past Monday was the transfer and I got a new companion and he is from Argentina and his name is Elder Rodriguez. He is amazing. Also we got another elder in our house that is a Brazilian and he is our district leader and he is cool too.

So with a transfer happening my new companion came to my area and it is strange because I am showing him around the area and not the other way around. It is tough because I have to do a ton in the way of leading the teaching and planning our schedule and so on. Also it is even harder here because pretty much every day we use the bus to go places and it is rough because the buses here are not working. the workers are protesting because they haven't been paid since December of last year. I love the Brazilian phrase that says their country is without poverty when people here are living in some of the worst housing conditions imaginable. Here this country is so rich but they have a lot of problems with politicians. So for us here it is rough because we have to use the main bus which is more expensive and we don't have a lot of money to start with. I live on 56 dollars for every 15 days. FYI, the US dollar went up in price here and for 1 dollar it is 3.20 reals.

This transfer I am very energized because our area has changed. It is no longer the zone leader area but a normal area and our district was changed to the four of us in the house and we have changed our focus on teaching. We were trying to find new people to teach and now we are working to find less active members to bring back to activity. Our ward is over half less active members. Every Sunday we have about 40 or less people in church and so it is hard. Also this week we have been trying to find a new house. A lot of areas in the mission have been trading houses and our house is somewhat falling apart and so we are looking for a new one. The life of missionaries is so wonderful. Every day we are making contacts, teaching lessons in houses, passing members, eating A LOT of food and feeling of the Spirit. I love it! The life here in Brazil is amazing. It has been raining a lot here and I love it. Every day is a new challenge and I am learning so much about how to help and serve the people here.

This past week we also had a baptism and my comp Elder Hernandez baptized her. Then he was transferred so I confirmed her!! in Portuguese!!!! I was shaking so much because this was my first confirmation. It was such a wonderful experience. I know the gospel is true and to watch someone accept the gospel and be baptized is priceless. You get to watch how their life changes and how happy they are.

This week has been a little rough for me and my new companion Elder Rodriguez. He has had a lot of trouble with his back. One day he had a pain in his back and then one day he couldn´t get out of his bed because the pain was so bad. So we talked for 6 almost 7 hours. He has a very crazy life story and so it was so neat to just sit and listen. Then later this week I got to feeling bad and I almost threw up. I don't know why. I think it is because I am not running or something. I never thought I would say this but Coach Selby, I MISS RUSSIAN 200´S :( hahaha (That is a running drill!)

This week has not had anything crazy happen but it was a good week. With my companion in good health now we are going back into the work and we pray that this area will see change. That is my story for the week my peeps . . . until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment