Monday, March 30, 2015

March 30, 2015

Dear Family and friends,

This past week has been a long one. On Tuesday I was feeling a little down and so I called our Mission President that day and wow does a mission president know how to help!! Also on Tuesday my companion and I encountered 4 new investigators and they are wonderful people!! Their names are Pedro, Carina, Jusara, and Irma. The first three were in one lesson and Irma was separate. Pedro and Jusara are friends and when we taught the first restoration they were in awe. They said the message was different and cool and that they wanted to learn more. Later in the week while doing a companion trade my companion invited them for baptism and they accepted!!

Wednesday was a longer day because we had a zone meeting and when we returned (our lunch was a small plate) so we were really hungry that night. We held a Family Home Evening with a family and it was great. My comp gave a lesson that involved paint and water and it was very educating.

Thursday was a companion trade off day and I went with my district leader and talked with him. My comp has been a little sad these past few weeks and we are trying to find out what we can do to help.

On Friday was another trade off day and my district leader went with my companion and I was with Elder Georgeoupolous (one of my best friends in the mission) for the day. For me I know that at the next transfer George will be leaving for another area and I am going to miss that kid. He is so much fun to be around.

On Saturday was one interesting day and for me to put it, I have seen that in this work we are a team and that to win the team has to be one. If there is a problem between players the team will fail and you will lose the game.

On Sunday we went to church and I remembered that it was Palm Sunday because a lot of Brazilians were going to their churches and had a gigantic palm leaf. At church I was talking with one of the elders from Sobradinho 1 and he had an legit tie. I asked him if he wanted to do a trade and he said that he has not found anyone worthy of this tie yet. I asked him to explain and he told me that the tie came from a missionary that later explained that the tie was from his father L. Tom Perry, an apostle of the church. I was amazed! Also on Sunday we had lunch at the house of Sister Eliete and when we were conversing she started to talk about how expensive things were. Her husband then talked about when they went to the store that when buying groceries that the price was extremely high and he was stunned but this sister said that if they paid their tithing faithfully that they could eat freely because God would provide for them. I have seen that people here in Brazil have a very strong faith in this gospel and for me it has strengthened my faith as well.

Really that has been the week and I have learned so many things. I like this quote for the week that I read in the Ensign (church magazine). The quote is: That if you want to be a life saver you can't be dressed like all the other swimmers on the beach. Missionaries are called to their specific missions because they have some trait about them that no other missionary has and that only we can touch a certain person with our special trait. I am learning so much while I am here. I love the gospel and want to serve our Heavenly Father with all my heart.

Until Next time,
Elder Hoopes

No comments:

Post a Comment